Tuesday 31 July 2012

Compensation

Yes, yes, I understand my posts have been slightly on the 'lame' side the past few times.  To be honest, there wasnt that much in the Uk to post of particular interest and then once we got to New York we have been too distracted by the glitz, glam and excitement of the city to sit down and write.  With only three weeks of trip to go, my posts are slowly winding down as I try and think less and less of home.  There is too much excitement to be had to be in front of a computer, and I have not been taking my phone along on trips to record photos, so I have deprived you.


Well, here is my compensation!  A nice photo blog of lots and lots of goodies and NEVER BEFORE SEEN NEW RELEASED IMAGES!


First, though, thoughts on Dublin and New York.


Our number one piece of advice we received was 'never go drink for drink with an Irishman' (thanks Joce) - however, we FAILED in following that advice and came to truly discover the ramifications of our actions with an exceedingly slow morning and vows never to drink again.  Other then that, Dublin was a great chance to unwind, sleep in a lot and mooch around a great city.  We got to do a few day trips, one to Howth to climb a grassy hill and look at the ocean, and one to Glendalough to see lakes and an old monastery.  Both were nice, however slightly windy and overcast.  Seeing the Book of Kells and the old library in Trinity College were highlights - worth the wait in line - amazing examples of old literature and book making techniques of the Middle Ages too.


New York has been everything it promises to be - we've got to enjoy the major tourist sights but also do some cool local Brooklynite things like Saturday morning food festivals and seeing indie movies in cinemas that serve Quesos and cocktails right to your seat.  I officially love New York.  I remember never particularly wanting to come here, something about how BIG the city is just never appealed to me, but now I see that the hum of energy and fun and interesting people just makes for great stuff going on all day, every day.  Tonight we are going to a Sigur Ros gig in Prospect Park and tomorrow we might go and see an improv show by the Upright Citizens Brigade (where Tina Fey and Amy Poehler began their careers) - I mean, COOL, right?


Ok, so for photos. I'm going to just scan the giant memory stick I have sitting here and upload anything that pops out and looks kinda fun - going BACK IN TIME about a month.  No particular theme, just lots of good ole fashioned fun and memories.


Toby embraces his Dutch heritage.

Glimpses of sun in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Great place to stand to get the best view of the city!

Going for a cool forest hike in the clouds up to the Old Man of Storr, the Isle of Skye.

What we could see after walking up for 1 hour. We were inside a cloud!

What you are SUPPOSED to see when you go to the Old Man of Storr
- taken the next day when the sun peeked out.

Driving through Glencoe, Scotland.

London gearing up for the Olympics - I'm sure you've seen this picture dozens of times on the TV !

The Houses of Parliament - what a great building!

Glendalough, Ireland.

Wassup!  I'm on the Brooklyn Bridge! And there is BLUE SKY!

Helllooooo New York!

Toby loving it at the Natural History Museum.  Elks!


GE Building, Rockefeller Centre - we went up the Top.

Couldn't resist a photo with the 30 Rock sign - taken by a very amused NYPD Cop.

Tobes gets in the spirit! Pizza in Brooklyn.




Well folks that's about all for now - it's a bit of a mishmash but what ya gonna do?  I'm gonna put on some short and a tee and go to MOMA.  Have a great day, I know I will!


3 comments:

  1. Ah, NY how I love thee! Your pics are making me want to go there. RIGHT NOW! New York is the first city I ever fell in love with. There's something magical about it. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly New York is a must visit, but having just spent a harrowing hour putting my daughter to bed, I'm more looking forward to my cup of milo. Glad you're loving it. Don't think of home - just have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New York! I don't know anyone who has not been sucked into its energy!

    ReplyDelete